I love the fair. This was the second year we went, and although I can understand why there are plenty of folks in the ‘been there, done that’ contingent, I had a very enjoyable time revisiting all the kitschiness that made our first visit so much fun.
So, here are the reasons why I love the fair, in order of awesomeness:
- Food! So much, oh-so-bad-for-you deliciousness. This is the day I will do double desserts (tough choice between cinnamon pretzels, ice cream, funnel cakes and those crazy flat fried dough things called elephant ears), after the requisite stops for reuben sandwiches and spinach bread. Not sure if I could ever stomach a donut burger, however….
- Great views and photo opps. The location in Palmer is perfect for views of the surrounding mountains.
- Critters. Feathered, scaly, slimy, cute and furry, the fair has them all.
- Humongous vegetables! Plus all the beautiful flowers in the market show. Still baffles me how the judges pick a winning potato. All the random arts and crafts, photography and DIY contests are also in this category.
- People watching. As Luke astutely describes it, “every second person at the fair is under 18 or a weirdo’. I’m sure he means I’m the weird one.
- Concerts. Somewhat hit-or-miss, but a drawcard for some.
- Shopping? Another one I don’t really get, but always amusing to peruse the wares. There is generally an abundance of camo. What are people doing with their wax hands?
Even though it typically signals the end of summer, I will be looking forward again to the fair next year…. if we’re still here….